By Project Management Institute
5.0 out of five stars
The top PMBOK but; vital for PMP examination January four, 2013
By Gabriel Young
As a undertaking administration teacher and path developer at a country collage, a venture administration keynote speaker, and anyone who has been education undertaking managers for almost twenty years, I hugely suggest this ebook. i've got additionally helped 1000's to cross their PMP checks (including education PMI staff) and even if a few parents declare they handed with out this, I firmly think that the PMBOK is a must-have.
I have owned each version of the PMBOK and that i can inform you that it's gotten greater with age. Let's face it, the cloth isn't the main fascinating yet not less than it's even more readable than ever. procedures are extra subtle (some could keep in mind middle vs. facilitating tactics in older types) and are titled extra regularly (used to have a few commence with verbs and others with nouns), descriptions of inputs/tools & techniques/outputs are clearer, and illustrations are much less complicated. That stated, the e-book nonetheless in simple terms covers the "whats". in case you truly need to know "how" to execute a few of these procedures, you will want one other source like undertaking administration: A structures method of making plans, Scheduling, and Controlling.
For those that have obvious many of the PMBOK's negative scores in stories of past types, you need to remember the fact that this can be a high-level advisor, now not an tricky textual content or a secret novel. for this reason, don't anticipate to be a undertaking administration guru on the finish or be entertained with inventive irony.
Anyway, because a lot of you're looking at this since you are looking to take the PMP examination, this is a few advice:
- even supposing you will be in a position to receive a tender reproduction of this e-book by way of being a PMI member, i like to recommend having a actual replica. In all my years of education, I've by no means even used a highlighter yet I did for the PMBOK whilst i used to be learning for this examination over a decade in the past. It seems that just about every thing was once worthy highlighting however it pressured me to learn every one line thoroughly.
- you'll want one other ebook seeing that many examination ideas aren't even coated within the PMBOK. i actually like PMP examination Prep, 7th variation: Rita's direction in a e-book for Passing the PMP examination or CAPM/PMP venture administration Certification All-in-One examination advisor with CD-ROM, moment variation. you don't even want the newest variations. belief me, the overall innovations may be the similar. for example, earned worth classes in Rita's 1st version from yesteryear stands out as the comparable as these in seventh or eighth variations. SPI will continually be EV/PV.
- while filing undertaking adventure at the program, you could publish paintings whether your name was once now not venture supervisor. when you labored on initiatives and feature performed a lead function, it may well count number so publish it. the most important aspect is so that you can be filing venture management actions. you continue to want 4500 hours of venture adventure when you have a bachelors or 7500 hours with no bachelors. additionally, continually put up greater than these thresholds in view that a few actions should be no longer be accepted.
- don't buy flash playing cards; as a substitute, make your individual. Get a stack of index playing cards and begin writing terms/concepts on one part with definitions/formulas/descriptions at the again side.
Hope this is helping. better of good fortune to every body!
Read Online or Download A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK(R) Guide PDF
Similar project management books
"Critical Chain," a gripping fast moving enterprise novel, does for venture administration what Eli Goldratt's different novels have performed for construction and Marketing.
Presenting robust but easy strategies to resolve undertaking management's hardest difficulties, this e-book teaches businesses to vastly minimize undertaking improvement occasions leading to early of entirety inside finances and with out compromising caliber or specifications.
"Critical Chain will revolutionize undertaking administration. " -- global Aero-Engine Review
"Critical Chain's robust but basic concepts. .. resolve undertaking management's hardest difficulties. " -- James R. Holt, Professor of Engineering administration, Washington country University
"Anyone who doesn't snap up a duplicate is lacking an excellent chance for pro and private improvement. " -- Assembly
"Eli Goldratt's first novel, The objective, shook up the manufacturing facility flooring. .. Goldratt primarily provides a self-discipline for figuring out what drives undertaking functionality and accordingly what the focal point of a undertaking manager's awareness could be. " -- Harvard enterprise Review
"This e-book (Critical Chain) is efficacious to 2 major audiences: undertaking managers and senior managers. .. worthy for facing essentially the most tough and urgent administration demanding situations: constructing hugely cutting edge new items. " -- Harvard company Review
About the Author
One of the world's so much wanted company leaders - writer and educator, Dr. Eli Goldratt. Eli Goldratt were defined by means of Fortune journal as a "guru to industry" and via enterprise Week as a "genius. " His charismatic, stimulating, but occasionally unconventional kind has captured the eye of audiences in the course of the global. Eli is a real philosopher who provokes others to think.
Eli Goldratt is the writer of the speculation of Constraints (TOC) and is the writer of eight books, together with the enterprise most sensible dealers The objective, It's now not good fortune, and demanding Chain. Goldratt's thought of Constraints is utilized by millions of businesses, and is taught in enormous quantities of schools, universities, and enterprise colleges. His books have bought over three million copies and feature been translated into 23 languages. Goldratt's interesting paintings as an writer, educator and company pioneer has led to the promulgation of TOC into many points of society and remodeled administration considering through the international.
The much-anticipated re-creation of the preferred undertaking administration introductory bookThe function of the venture supervisor keeps to develop into extra assorted and significant, putting robust undertaking administration abilities in excessive call for. This in-depth introductory consultant bargains aspiring undertaking managers the fundamental basics of venture administration.
Peter Taylor unearths how adopting a extra targeted way of living, initiatives and paintings could make you two times as effective. The lazy venture supervisor illustrates how someone can observe the straightforward suggestions of lazy undertaking administration of their personal actions with a purpose to paintings extra successfully and as a result increase work-life stability.
"Preface software program improvement is taken into account one of the most complicated actions conducted by way of guy. The regular progress of software program structures' measurement, the expanding function software program is enjoying in security severe functions, and the rate at which know-how and software program swap are a few of the explanations usually pointed out to aid the above declare.
- Project Management (Briefcase Books Series)
- Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 Manual (2009 Edition)
- The PMP Exam: Quick Reference Guide (Test Prep series)
- Advanced Models for Project Management
Extra resources for A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK(R) Guide
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Fifth Edition Licensed To: Jorge Diego Fuentes Sanchez PMI MemberID: 2399412 This copy is a PMI Member benefit, not for distribution, sale, or reproduction. 1 Organizational Influences on Project Management An organization’s culture, style, and structure influence how its projects are performed. The organization’s level of project management maturity and its project management systems can also influence the project. When a project involves external entities such as those that are part of a joint venture or partnering agreement, the project will be influenced by more than one organization.
A sponsor is the person or group who provides resources and support for the project and is accountable for enabling success. The sponsor may be external or internal to the project manager’s organization. From initial conception through project closure, the sponsor promotes the project. This includes serving as spokesperson to higher levels of management to gather support throughout the organization and promoting the benefits the project brings. The sponsor leads the project through the initiating processes until formally authorized, and plays a significant role in the development of the initial scope and charter.
2013 Project Management Institute. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Fifth Edition Licensed To: Jorge Diego Fuentes Sanchez PMI MemberID: 2399412 This copy is a PMI Member benefit, not for distribution, sale, or reproduction. 5 1 - INTRODUCTION Managing a project typically includes, but is not limited to: • Identifying requirements; • A ddressing the various needs, concerns, and expectations of the stakeholders in planning and executing the project; • S etting up, maintaining, and carrying out communications among stakeholders that are active, effective, and collaborative in nature; • Managing stakeholders towards meeting project requirements and creating project deliverables; • Balancing the competing project constraints, which include, but are not limited to: ○○ Scope, ○○ Quality, ○○ Schedule, ○○ Budget, ○○ Resources, and ○○ Risks.